This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Powder Pink Balloon Skirt

Next on the list was the pink jersey! I thought it was big enough for two garments, but balloon skirts require lots of fabric, and I really wanted to make one. I used this tutorial to get started.


I love how it turned out, cute but easy to combine in different styles: I had two parties of different style the night I finished it. A quick change of shoes and top, and I went from formal/chique to casual/party. And it's unbelievably comfy to wear!

Here's a close-up of the lace, an (again mostly) invisible and slightly skew zipper and the fancy button I thought it deserved. All this fabric makes it quite a heavy skirt , so I used some very nice strong but supple interlining for the waistband.
Let me tell you a little secret (people who know me might not expect this), but when I was a little girl I wanted to be a ballet dancer... This pink skirt reminded me of that, so here's a pic of me making (what I think of as) ballet moves! Hm, maybe it looks more like an oldfashioned ballroom bow... Anyway, at the age of seven, as long as it included pretty dresses and dancing, I was happy! Imagine how deeply disappointed I was when my mother got married in a jumpsuit... Well, at least I got to wear a pink dress.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE it! Hmm, I think that needs an extra ! Or two. I am not a big fan of bubble skirts but I love how it looks in that drapey pink jersey, and with the black lace... Yum! Was the interfacing/interlining also a knit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love that you love it, I love what you make too :) The interfacing is vlieseline H200, suitable for stretch. I got it at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oei wist je moeder dat van die lange broek :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ja, ik was 5 dus teleurstelling kon ik nog niet zo goed verbergen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This skirt is so chic and romantic :3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!